22 October 2008















I am surprised my mother did not hire a sniper to hunt me down! Of course ... mothers don't do such things ... but probably she should have ... because today I know what a crappy son I was! Most of you know it already ... i am a person who hates monotony! I have to change my underwear everyday ... ok i don't think that was such a good example! Anyway ... i can't use the same plate for eating dinner for a very long time ... my water bottles have to keep changing ... phone ring tones have to be changing ... desktop wallpapers change almost every week ... and when it comes to food ... i am a monster!

It was impossible for me to eat the same food for more than once in a week. Mom used to prepare a separate breakfast for me ... and then pack a totally different item for lunch to take to college. If ... and if she dares to expect me to carry the same thing for lunch ... the same thing which I had for breakfast ... gone case! I would simply throw my hands up and say " Not happenin' ... mom ... no way!" Either I go to college without my lunchbox or mom cooks something separate for me ... 99.99% of the cases, it was the latter.

There's not much I need to talk about the breakfast menu I have here - it varies between oats and frosties and raisin brans. But surprise surprise! I did manage to bring about variety in my life here too ... for lunch i carry Puliyogare (puliyogare cooked by a Brahmin is one of the most tastiest dishes in the world !!) ... i have other options like sandwiches ... bread upma ... parathas ... and not to forget the amazing Scaife Hall which is a blessing for a pure veggie who gets to choose from veg burgers to flavored yoghurt to vegetable soup to salads (yuck!) to fruits to caramel chocolate coffee.

If this was not enough ... i have friends who prepare stuff for me! Someone's always calling me to their place for lunch or dinner ... or there are friends who even give me stuff to eat ... or are willing to teach me the magic of cooking. A friend of mine gave 'rajma' couple of days back and I gobbled it up like a pig! 'M-B' is a wonderful cook and she called us for lunch once ... her delicacies impressed me totally! Or else ... we always have 'S' and 'M's place to go to! My room-mate suddenly comes up with wild wonderful ideas like melting chocolate and dipping strawberries in them ... oh god ! They were so awesome!

Its true that my cribbing about food has almost come to a stop! I respect mom's patience a lot more now ... however, i still am the spoilt pampered boy of Bangalore! There ... mom did it ... here my friends do it!

No comments: